Monday, September 8, 2008

So Horrible, but So Real

When Matt was born, I loved looking at him... still do. There is no more pure form of human than a newborn baby. Everything they do is solely to survive, and be loved. They know nothing of jealousy, hate or anger, and have done nothing to deserve those feelings towards them. As I was flooded with all of these wonderful feelings of love and affection, I became horribly sad. (leave it to me to kill a good moment) As innocent and helpless as babies are, there are people who do horrible things to them. It is one thing to say 'how sad it is', or 'isn't that a shame', like most people do. But for some incredibly unfortunate reason, I am deeply saddened by these events and am effected forever. I have cried every time I hear of a severely abused child, a newborn left to die by the side of the road, or worse. I find it unfathomable that someone could do something so heartless to someone so helpless. What I don't understand is why these people don't use the resources that are there to help them. There are crisis lines for new parents who have reached the end of their rope with a newborn baby who won't stop crying. There are plenty of adoption agencies who would be happy to place that baby by the road in a loving home. No matter how stubborn or difficult a child may be, no child deserves this kind of treatment. And babies. So frail, and trusting. They trust you will always catch them, you will always feed them, and when they are cold, you will wrap them up in a blanket. They trust you will love them. As sad as I am and always will be over this, I feel completely helpless. People have and always will do horrible things. I hate to say it is in our nature, but for some I believe it is. I'll close this with... If you have children: love them. If you don't love them: give them to someone who will. And if you know of a stressed out parent in trouble: offer to help, or at least offer an ear. If you know of a child in trouble: call CPS. Don't worry about making things 'awkward' between you and your neighbor or friend. I'm sure 90% of abuse related deaths could have been prevented if someone hadn't turned the other way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I know what you mean. I have a physical reaction everytime I hear about some jerk beating a baby, or the death of a toddler. I makes me sick to see what people do to their kids.

September 9, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home