Sunday, September 21, 2008

Baby Smiles


Matt started smiling very young... about a week and a half old. I remember it was during my first dinner at home after being in the hospital. We were sitting at the table, and Matt wanted to join us as usual. I was holding him waiting for Joe to finish eating so I could pass Matt of and start on my meal. I was talking to and smiling at Matt, and he smiled back. (and no, it wasn't 'gas') But now he has gotten old enough to really play with. He loves to be tickled, and touched on his face. Joe took a few of the cadences they use while working out with their students, and converted them to fit a baby. Matt loves them and smiles big every time Joe sings. (I've tried, but he just doesn't get the same enjoyment out of it with me) Matt also loves kisses, and smiles at every one. Now that we've gotten to this stage, I have realized there is nothing better than a baby smile. Babies don't know how to fake happiness, so it is such a pure and honest reaction. When I see him smile big enough to light up his eyes, I forget about the 2 hours of sleep I had the night before. I forget about the colic, the frustration we've both felt with breastfeeding, being peed on, pooped on, etc. No matter how angry my children make me, I forget about all of it with only one moment of pure joy. That moment, is what we parents live for. A child's honesty can be crushing or it can give you wings. One single moment, one baby smile, can give you the strength to make it to the end of the day in one piece or get you up in the morning. I read a while ago that some study found people without children generally were happier. And while some days I believe it, I have never been happier than I am when experiencing one of these moments. This is what I live for. Good morning hugs, goodnight kisses, and baby smiles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home