Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sesame Street Bust

Yesterday we went to see Sesame Street Live up in Everett. I bought the tickets about 6 weeks ago, and because we got them early, had awesome seats. We went last year and the boys had a blast. Even though we had to leave early because they started to get restless towards the end. We really wanted to do it again. What should have been another fun-filled easy going day out turned into a crazy (as usual) event.

We left the house barely on time to catch the 9:25 ferry in Kingston over to Edmunds. It would have given us just enough time with the half-hour ferry and 20 minute drive up to Everett to get there for 10:30, when the show started. Unfortunately I didn't notice the day before I had no gas, so we had to stop and fill up. Then on Bond road, we got stuck behind a s-l-o-w vehicle. We made it to the ferry terminal just in time, to discover they had overbooked the ferry and we would have to take the next one at 10:05. We turned around to leave but after discussing our options, we really didn't have any. There was no way we would be able to drive around in time, or catch any other ferry that would get us there. We pulled back into the terminal and decided it would be better to miss the first 20 minutes than the whole thing. The ferry got over to Edmunds at 10:25 which was earlier than expected and I was so happy. We planned on Joe dropping me and the kids off at the door so we could rush in, and we were most likely going to see the majority of the show. After following the street signs to the highway instead of our directions, we finally made it to the highway, and then our exit. Almost there. 10:45. Our exit was blocked off for construction. Damn. We got off at the other part of the exit, but got totally lost. We tried the navigation, and it actually worked. (it's really hit or miss) We followed it, had one more turn and... damn it! The road was blocked for construction! We back tracked changing our course and at 11:21 found the entrance. Joe pulled up, I got out to get the boys out, and Drew was sleeping. Joe said he'd bring him in, and I took Nate. When we pulled up, there we some people leaving and there were a ton of people in the lobby. Nate and I raced up to the door. With 5 minutes left of intermission, we found our seats and waited for Joe and Drew. 20 minutes later, the show was over, and Joe and Drew spent it in the back cause they couldn't get to our seats. (That we paid top dollar for so the kids could actually see this year) The boys both really enjoyed it, but I felt like a total failure. This day was supposed to be for them, and it seemed like everything in our path was keeping us from getting there. I couldn't help but think the Tao was at work. How else could so many obstacles pop up in our morning? I'm not sure why we weren't supposed to be there, and probably never will. I still feel horrible that their day was a total bust, but I know there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I say total bust, but we did go out to lunch at Red Robin, and then visited the Alderwood Mall for the first time. (Really great mall by the way) The boys love malls, so they had fun. I got some Capri's and tanks cause I am no longer a small (thanks to the belly) and Joe got a helicopter for him and the boys. We were supposed to go to a BBQ in Port Townsend at 5, but it took us 3 hours to get there. We were 15 miles out from the house and called to say we were running a little late, and were told it had been canceled. She told us to come up anyway, and we could hang out and grill and all that. We did, and had a good time. Nate and Drew made a new friend. We finally ended our day at 9:30. Even though we spent countless hours in the car, the boys were really good. We didn't have any major melt downs or tantrums so it went better than it could have with them.

Today, Nate is cranky as hell, and our neighbors had me up at 3am again. I'm really getting sick of it, and I think I'm going to go over there today and have a chat with them. I'm all for having fun, but don't be inconsiderate in the meantime. We will be spending the day at home today, resting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home