Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy (wonderful) Birthday to Me!

Friday was my 24th birthday, and was absolutely wonderful. The first "happy birthday" I got was at 3:00 am during one of Matt's midnight feedings. In the morning, all the kids wished me 'happy birthday', and gave me a hug. Even the kids I watch remembered when they showed up. My Dad called and sang to me, and it always makes me laugh. Joe and my Mom had been planning a HUGE surprise for (I think) about a month. He had given me a few hints along the way but they were too ambiguous for me to pinpoint what it was. Either way, I wanted to be surprised. Joe had put so much effort into it, I didn't want to spoil it. Friday I dropped off the kids at school and took Drew with me. I knew Joe needed me to get lost for an hour or so, so I decided to take back some 'too big' pajamas for Nate, and proceed to another store to try to find some that did. I came back a little too early apparently cause when I drove up, Kaela hopped in the car and said, "you can't be here yet." We went to Starbucks and had a white mocha while Drew munched on a Petite Vanilla Bean Scone . Joe finally called and gave the OK to return.

When we walked up to the front door there was a black and pink sign that read, "MANDY'S PHOTOGRAPHY". (The story behind that: when I was younger, I used to create photography 'portfolios' out of those free little albums that you used to get when you developed film at Wal-Mart) And at this point, I got it. We came in, and there was a home made cake with "Happy 24th Amanda", and 24 pink frosting flowers around the edge. We came into the dining/formal living area and there it was. Two large lights with umbrellas, and a backdrop hung up on a stand. There was another backdrop lying next to it, some mats, and a cube (that we're still not too sure exactly what it's for, but I believe it's to cover up a stool or something). I was ecstatic. Joe really had put so much thought into this, it was amazing. Then I read the card. The card itself was wonderful and really heartfelt, but the last sentence made me cry. "I believe in you". A few days prior I told Joe I was too afraid to think I didn't have the natural talent it takes to be successful, and that was scary for me. How awful it would be to fail at something you love. Knowing that he supports me 100%, means so much more than anyone could know. And as well as I know Joe, he wouldn't have put the money into it if he didn't think it was something worth pursuing. So I was already on cloud 9, and then another package showed up. In addition to my Mom going in on the studio equipment, she bought me the camera bag I wanted. I told her she was crazy, cause it was pretty expensive. My Mom is totally backing me in this endeavor as well. It's awesome to know that I have the support of my family. Without that, it would be hard to accomplish anything. As often as I am not listened to with the kids, I really feel I am heard by Joe, my Mom and Grandparents. They all make me feel so important whenever I need it the most.

Later on, Joe and I went to Outback while the kids were all at sitters. It was a really nice time, just the two of us. We actually had conversation, and were able to finish a whole meal. (which we stuffed ourselves retarded) This birthday was very closely tied with my 23rd, but I definitely think this one has come out on top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home